Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Ordination as Deacon


In the midst of this busy spring and summer, I failed to note that a highlight for me was being ordained as a Deacon in the Anglican Church this spring.

My ordination was held on April 30th at Apostles Anglican Church in Lexington, Kentucky where I was ordained by the Rt. Rev. David "Doc" Loomis.


Pictured above (from left to right): Fr. Peter Matthews, Rt. Rev. Doc Loomis, Fr. Matt Purmort (who was ordained as a priest at the service) and myself.

I was glad that Sue, the kids and my parents could join me. Several friends from Cincinnati also made drive as well.

The role of a deacon varies among denominations, but in the Anglican Church it is associated with a role of a servant. A deacon typically assists with the Sunday liturgy in the ministry of the Word (i.e. reading the Gospel and proclaiming the Good News about Christ) and service to the poor.



Blessings,
Rev. Deacon David Stiles

No comments: