Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Truth and Power: The Place of Scripture in the Christian Life

This week I finished reading a book by J.I. Packer called Truth & Power: The Place of Scripture in the Christian Life.

Dr. Packer's books have played an important role in my life. Reading his book Knowing God during my college years was an important introduction to God's character and attributes and very helpful for my spiritual growth.

Then, when I was 24, I read his book called A Quest for Godliness - a great book that provides a wonderfully detailed description on the theology of the Puritans. In more recent years I read his books Keep in Step with the Spirit (a book on the Holy Spirit) and God's Words: Studies of Key Bible Themes.

Over the years I've found it helpful to re-read these books, reminding me again and again of God's faithful through His Son, Jesus Christ.

Recently, I heard Rev. Ligon Duncan recommend Dr. Packer's Truth & Power at a workshop hosted by the Gospel Coalition. The context for his recommendation was for pastors to clearly understand the role of preaching and teaching in the local church. Interestingly, not only does Dr. Packer cover this topic in detail in the book, but also covers a number of other helpful issues as well.

I'll plan on posting a summary of the book's chapters in future posts.

-d.

No comments: