Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Summer Reading



I arrived home on Sunday, after a week of vacation on the east coast. (We had a very nice time in Virginia and North Carolina).

On our trip we visited Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson (pictured above).

I love history, and during my week off I read Ron Chernow's biography of another Founding Father, called simply, "Alexander Hamilton" (2004).

Chernow describes many of Hamilton's positive qualities....a visionary genius who predicted many of the needs of the early United States, a patriotic artillery commander, a trusted aide to Gen. George Washington during the Revolutionary War, a member of the Constitutional Convention, a co-writer of the Federalist Papers and the first U.S. Treasury Secretary, among others.

The author also paints a very vivid picture of Hamilton's darker side...as a man filled with vanity, one easily injured by rumors and slights as well as a womanizer.

Interesting, Hamilton had several significant encounters with pastors at the beginning and at the end of his life. In the next few posts I'll write more about what I've learned.
Blessings,


-Dave

No comments: